We’re on Day 4 of our Whole30 experience, and it’s been pretty good so far. Having done it all before, I know what works for me food-wise, so I don’t have to spend time trying out as many new meals. That’s a huge bonus, because this program is so food-prep heavy. My biggest challenges so far are getting enough starchy veg and healthy fats to maintain my breastmilk supply, and having food available for us to grab without prepping, since it’s a busy house. Lunch time can be hard, and I’ve found myself eating loads of raw vegetables but missing protein or fat, which isn’t good, because it leaves me feeling spacey.
Anyway, since that is currently the case, I’m here to deliver a few #ProTips on life that have I’ve been gathering from the trenches, of late.
- If you have a child who loves stickers, and loves to put them on YOU, do not, I repeat DO NOT take a shower with them on. They are virtually impossible to remove completely, once they’re wet. True story.
- It doesn’t matter how many expensive toys you buy for your kids, give them a string or a cardboard box and it’s their favourite damn thing EVER.
- It’s equally possible to binge on sugar snap peas as it is to binge on Nutella. Okay, maybe not equally. And they may not be quite as tasty as spoonfuls of Nutella are. But I’ve discovered I can eat almost an entire bag of them in one sitting. I haven’t decided if this constitutes a healthy addiction or not.
- You can solve almost any Threenager problem with tickling.
- Sometimes, even though it might be tempting to use your adult swim time in the evenings to Get Shit Done, or even just catch up on your favourite TV show, it’s actually better for you to just go to sleep when they go to sleep. Because 9 hours of (virtually) uninterrupted sleep will make the next day way better, in so many respects.
- Fruit tastes friggin’ AMAZING when sugar isn’t in your diet, to fuck up your taste buds. But I still <3 sugar.
- Orthorexia is a thing. And I don’t plan on going there. When I’m done, I will buy some gourmet freaking doughnuts. And have some prosecco.
Okay, I’m off to save the world. Happy Saturday, folks!